On April 10 of this year, we will celebrate our 90th anniversary! To commemorate this special year, we are going to highlight different aspects of our business and community each month to show how we have grown and changed.
We want to show what Turner’s and our community looked like during different decades and each week we will highlight a different time in our history.
Charles G. Turner, started Turner Dairy Farms with four cows on rented property in Penn Hills in 1930. He had left his father’s farmland in Wilkinsburg in 1929 following a dispute regarding whether he could extend credit to customers on his delivery route who had been hit hard by the Great Depression. When his father refused, Charlie Turner took his three cows and moved way out into the country – Penn Hills – to start his own dairy and extended credit to his customers.
Pictured Left to Right – Charlie with one of his Guernsey Cows (1940), the Point in Pittsburgh (~1930), Charlie’s first truck
After he started the dairy in Penn Hills, he conducted regular tours for students from throughout the region so that they could see cows being milked, and sometimes they stayed for picnics. That continued until the herd was transferred to another farm in 1998.
Nearly 90 years later, Turner Dairy is thriving and that is due to following Charlie Turner’s motto, “Perfect Products. Perfect Service. Treat People Right.”
Since our founding in 1930, Turner Dairy Farms’ focus has been on setting a higher standard of quality from the farm to the bottle. We focus on providing the freshest, best tasting, highest quality dairy products because we believe your family deserves it.
Follow along all year on our Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook. Or using #Turners90